• October 6, 2014: Two SDSU undergraduate students, Mengen Lyu (an American Language Institute student) and Chenghui Liu (Sophomore in Finance), have joined our STACS Group in helping with data entry, editing, and cleaning. The data were collected during the 2014 summer household survey over 600 households in Fanjingshan National Nature Reserve, China. Welcome Mengen and Chenghui!
• September 1, 2014: The STACS Group welcomes Billy Orihuela, our newest master's degree student! Originally from Kailua, Hawaii, Billy earned a bachelor's degree in business and economics from Loyola Marymont University in 2011. Here at SDSU, he plans on using methods like spatial statistics to gain further insight into the relationships between economics, demography, and the environment. Billy is excited to be here, and happy to extend his lifelong streak of living within ten miles of the Pacific Ocean.
• August 25, 2014: A warm welcome to Dr. Yuejin Deng who is a Visiting Scholar invited by Dr. Li An to our department for 2014-2015 academic year. He is an Associate Professor as well as one of the leading engineers at the State Key Laboratory for Information Engineering in Surveying, Mapping and Remote Sensing, Wuhan University, China. He is an expert in GIS Mapping Software Development, Geo-Big Data Analysis, Land Use and Cover Change, and Urban Development.
Dr. Deng will be at SDSU to seek research collaborations, especially in the area of using space-time analysis models to explore what are the benefits and limits of urbanization development, and how it may affect the local economy.
• July 12, 2014: The golden monkey project team has had a successful field survey season at the Fanjingshan National Nature Reserve, China. For more information, visit http://goldenmonkey.sdsu.edu/news/.
• May 22, 2014: Dr. Li An has been approved to be an editorial board member of the International Journal of Geospatial and Environmental Research (IJGER). The IJGER is an open access international journal that provides a forum for discussion among researchers in all fields of geography and environmental sciences with a spatial dimension, and publishes original research papers, review articles, and short communications on academic activities.
• May 19, 2014: Stephen Crook has recently been selected into the 2014/2015 California State University (CSU) Chancellor's Doctoral Incentive Program (CDIP), which is based on his excellent past academic background and promise of being successful as a doctoral student and CSU faculty member. Congratulations to Steve!
• May 8, 2014: Stephen Crook was chosen to receive the William and Vivian Finch Remote Sensing Award in recognition of his excellent work in remote sensing, his academic successes, and professional accomplishments. Steve is a student in the SDSU Joint Doctoral Program, working with Dr. Li An. Congratulations Steve!
• May 5, 2014: Dr. Li An’s proposal was selected by SDSU President Elliot Hirshman for the prestigious President’s Leadership Fund that focuses on “building on excellence” in support of student success, research and creative endeavors, and community and communication. The funded proposal, titled “Cross the Border: Immerse Undergraduates in Conservation”, will allow further inclusion of undergraduates in the STACS group’s work on payments for ecosystems services in the Fanjingshan National Nature Reserve in Guizhou, China (see: http://goldenmonkey.sdsu.edu/). By being a part of the project, selected undergraduates will be able to participate in diverse, multidisciplinary international fieldwork. Specifically, they will learn field methods and data analysis techniques in ecology, geography, demography, and economics. In the process, they will contribute in substantial ways to the group’s work in conserving the endangered Guizhou Golden Monkey, and investigating sustainability for local indigenous populations.
• March 6, 2014: This year's Undergraduate Summer Scholars have been selected. Meet the 2014 Summer Scholars
• February 11th, 2014: SDSU welcomes the 2014 Delegation from Fanjingshan!More info Photos
• January 23, 2014: Congratulations to Dr. Li An, who has been selected by the Scholars without Borders as recipient of the SDSU 2013-14 Outstanding International Scholar Award.
News in 2013
News in 2012
News in 2011
News in 2010
News in 2009